Sharm el Sheikh a snorkeling paradise

 


Clean snorkel and mask: check. Inflate pink floatation device: check. Apply a thick layer of sunscreen: check. All clear for takeoff.

Wearing a pair of flippers, I awkwardly wade into the clear water I’ve been admiring from the comfort of my beach chair for the last hour. The cool temperature takes my breath away, even though I feel like a turkey slowly roasting in the intense desert heat.

I tell myself don’t waste time, there’s a coral reef to explore, this is one of the moments you’ve been waiting for since you arrived in Egypt more than two weeks ago. And just like that, I slide onto my stomach and start kicking, eager to experience the marine treasures the Red Sea is known for.

Like most people, I came to Egypt to experience the ancient tombs built for pharaohs and elaborate temples created to worship hundreds of gods. But many people don’t know that the Red Sea along Egypt’s coast is also one of the best snorkeling destinations in the world.

Located on the southern tip of the Sinai Peninsula, Sharm el Sheikh is a resort town known for its sheltered sandy beaches, clear waters and coral reefs. After 10 days exploring Egypt on a tour with Intrepid Travel, and dealing with persistent vendors hungry for my money, stepping into the five-star Jaz Fanara Resort felt like paradise.

Given my lack of swimming skills and low level of comfort in the water, I wanted to stay at a resort where I could simply wade into the ocean from the beach and start snorkeling when I felt ready. Built onto the cliffs overlooking a sheltered bay, the resort’s house reef runs along the bay and is accessible in less than a minute from the beach.

The shallow water above the flat reef provides a unique opportunity to get a close look at life along the reef. Big, colourful parrotfish that look like a rainbow feed on what appears to be algae growing on damaged coral. Small fish hide in the coral’s nooks and crannies, darting out to chase away parrotfish whenever they get too close. Other species like sohal tang, Picasso triggerfish and bannerfish are plentiful.

After watching life in coral town, I swim towards Ras Um Sid, which can also be accessed at El Fanar Beach. The shallow water disappears and so does the flat reef. I'm now swimming beside a reef wall packed with vibrant corals and exotic fish of various shapes and sizes on one side and nothing but the deep blue ocean on the other. 

It feels like entering another world. The hectic pace of life instantly melts away as I effortlessly propel myself from one section of the reef to another – like I’m flying.

I’ve snorkeled in a lot of places including the Galapagos Islands, Barbados, Jordan and Mexico, but Koh Phi Phi, Thailand has always remained number one on my snorkeling list – until now. Experiencing a slice of Sharm el Sheikh’s marine treasures has left me wanting to put my pink inflatable floatation device back on and explore more of the snorkeling paradise in the Red Sea.

 WATCH: Snorkeling in Sharm el-Sheikh and Hurghada