Mud and old towns a highlight of Germany

 


Standing on a sandy beach along the North Sea, I watch groups of people slowly wading through ankle-deep mud.

They look like toddlers learning how to walk. Laughter fills the air until they reach hard-packed sand that’s covered with a thin sheen of water only a few inches deep.

“Do I have to walk in the mud?” I ask my boyfriend Mirko.

“Yes, you have to walk in the mud,” he replies. “That is what you do here.”

I look at the white capri pants I’m wearing and cringe. But if walking through mud is part of experiencing the largest tidal flats system in the world, then I’ll gladly change into shorts and take the sticky plunge.

The mudflats near Cuxhaven. Photo by Mirko Freund

Located west of Hamburg, the seaside town of Cuxhaven is situated where the Elbe River meets the North Sea. Large container ships are regularly seen entering and leaving the Elbe that flows through Hamburg 100 km downstream. It’s also the starting point for intertidal mudflat hikes in Hamburg Wadden Sea National Park.

The park is part of the 11,500 square kilometre UNESCO Wadden Sea World Heritage Site, which recognizes the unique geological and ecological values of the area that’s an essential resting place for millions of migratory birds. The slope of the sea floor along Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands is shallow, resulting in water that recedes sometimes up to 15 kilometres during low tide. This makes it possible to walk to nearby islands (recommended with a guide for safety).

“So this is what Germans do for fun?” I ask Mirko, as we carefully wade through slippery ankle-deep mud that feels surprisingly good on my feet.

“Yes. I guess Germans are weird, hey?” replies Mirko, who moved from Germany to Vancouver Island 14 years ago.

Rothenburg, Germany. Photo by Mirko Freund

I came to Cuxhaven during a two-week trip that includes visiting Mirko’s family near Hamburg and a six-day road trip through Bavaria. Due to my German heritage, Germany is a country I’ve been wanting to explore for several years. My grandparents were forced to flee Germany during the second world war and came to Canada, eventually settling on a farm in central Alberta.

During holidays and special occasions at my grandparent’s house, the conversations would be half German, half English. There was always German music playing in the background at Christmas, and everyone on my mom’s side of the family has been to Germany. Ten years ago, I got a taste of Germany during a five-hour layover in Frankfurt. Wandering through Frankfurt’s old town was surprisingly emotional and left me eager to come back and explore more.

Now here I was, flying down the Autobahn with Mirko behind the wheel of our rental car and his two teenage boys asleep in the back seat. Excitement rushes through me the further we drive south of Hamburg, passing endless fields dotted with wind turbines. 

Six hours later, we arrive in the medieval town of Rothenburg – a place I learned about as a kid due to my last name (Roth). Located between Frankfurt and Munich, Rothenburg is one of the best-known medieval towns in Germany and is famous for its well-preserved old town that dates back to the 13th century.

Neuschwanstein Castle. Photo by Mirko Freund.

Colourful half-timbered buildings of various shapes and sizes line the narrow, cobblestone streets that buzz with tourists during the day. A 2.4-kilometre wall with several towers surrounds most of the picturesque old quarter. Being here feels like stepping back in time.  

“This place feels like being in a living museum,” says Mirko, as he stops to take a photo of the town wall.

The road trip also includes a stop in Munich’s old town before heading towards the Alps to soak in sweeping views from Germany’s highest peak – the Zugspitze at 2,962 metres. We also admire King Ludwig II’s magnificent castles – the lavishly decorated Linderhof Palace and Neuschwanstein Castle. They look like works of art thanks to the elusive king obsessed with building opulent castles.

Stade, Germany. Photo by Mirko Freund.

But as the days went by, it was the beautifully preserved old towns in lesser-known areas that became the most enjoyable places to explore due to their charming architecture, authentic vibe and lack of tourists. This includes the quaint old towns in Stade and Otterndorf, which are located south of Hamburg in the Altes Land.

Known as one of the largest fruit growing regions in Europe, the Altes Land has several large half-timbered farmhouses (some with thatched roofs) sprinkled amongst the towns and dykes that weave through the countryside. It’s a peaceful area to explore, especially on a bicycle.

“Now this is how I always pictured Germany,” I say to Mirko, as we stroll along cobblestone streets of Otterndorf before heading to the mud flats in Cuxhaven. The street is lined with half-timbered A-frame homes that look like dollhouses.

I can’t stop smiling. My curiosity about Germany has finally been satisfied.  

WATCH: A road trip through Bavaria https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58XVi-f8k-k&t=1s