The greasy experience of an Ayurveda Chakra Dhara massage


After getting up at 4:30 in the morning to practice two hours of yoga and meditation in a howling hurricane near a volcano, followed by a 22 km bike ride through the beautiful countryside of Bali, I was more than ready for a two-and-a-half hour massage.


Those who had already experienced the Ayurveda Chakra Dhara massage at One World Retreats in Ubud, Bali were raving about how great the experience was. It made me more eager to have a go at it myself.



Ayurveda is a holistic science that dates back more than 3,000 years, making it the oldest healing therapy in the world. Focusing on wellness prevention, longevity and natural healing, the massage consists of dripping warm herbal oil on the chakra points of the body in order to balance the energy flow and purify the body, mind and spirit.



I knew the massage involved oil, but I was startled by the amount that was poured across my entire body. I felt like I was getting greased up for a body building competition and could slide off the massage table with the push of a pinky finger.



The masseuse worked me over like a rolling pin, the oil making it easy for her to slide across aches and pains I never even knew I had. The experience was heavenly until she moved to my forehead and began pouring a litre of coconut oil onto my “third eye.”



Having fine, greasy hair is something I have to deal with on a daily basis. The grease gets worse when I’m dripping with sweat in a hot, humid climate. So when the coconut oil began seeping through every fine hair on my tiny blonde head, the relaxation I was previously experiencing came to an abrupt end, and I immediately started to panic.



Is this hard to get out of your hair?” I nervously asked the masseuse. 
 


No. Just shampoo two times,” she replied calmly. 
 


A few more minutes went by, the oil still pouring onto my head like water coming out of a tap. 
 


How long do you let the oil flow?” I asked, thinking it would be over in a few minutes. 
 


About 10 to 15 minutes,” she replied. 
 


My eyes widened. My body tensed. There was no turning back. The struggles of trying to deal with a head full of oil for the next however many days began racing through my mind. Before my trip to Indonesia, I made considerable effort to find a travel sized dry shampoo to fight the grease. Now a litre of oil was being dumped on my head. I couldn’t help but feel mad.



I was told to leave the oil in for about 30 minutes because it’s good for your hair, but as soon as the massage was over I raced back to my room and jumped in the shower. After two shampoos, however, my hair was still an oil slick and more limp and lifeless than ever. But on the flip side, it did have a radiant shine I’ve never seen before.



The moral of the story? Always find our what exactly you’re getting yourself into – even if it’s something as simple as a massage. But if you don't mind being turned into a slimy grease ball for two-and-a-half hours, then an Ayurveda Chakra Dhara massage could very well be the best massage you've ever had.